Special procedures mandate holders
The Human Rights Council’s Special Procedures mandate holders (special rapporteurs, independent experts and working group members) are independent human rights experts holding thematic or country-specific mandates who were tasked to monitor human rights situation pertaining to their mandates around the world and to work out reports for their subsequent submission to the Human Rights Council.
The Republic of Azerbaijan enjoys fruitful cooperation with the special procedures mandate holders. Government of Azerbaijan has always responded positively to all visit enquiries of the mandate holders. It should also particularly be emphasized that in April 2013 the Government of Azerbaijan issued standing invitation to all mandate holders wishing to visit Azerbaijan.
The following UN mandate holders have visited Azerbaijan since 2012:
- Special Rapporteur Anand Grover on the right of everyone to the enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of physical and mental health (16-23 May 2012); Report; Comments by Azerbaijan;
- Special Rapporteur Rashida Manjoo on violence against women, its causes and consequences (25 November – 6 December 2013); Report;
- Special Rapporteur Chaloka Beyani on the human rights of Internally Displaced Persons (18-24 May 2014); Report;
- Members of the Working Group on Business and Human Rights (18-27 August 2014); Report; Comments by Azerbaijan;
- Members of the Working Group on Arbitrary Detention (16-25 May 2016); Report; Comments by Azerbaijan;
- Special Rapporteur Michel Forst on the situation of human rights defenders (14-22 September 2016); Report; Comments by Azerbaijan.
The openness and constructive cooperation of Azerbaijan with the Special Procedures mandate holders was positively acknowledged by UN High Commissioner for human rights in his oral update during the 38th session of the Human Rights Council (18 June – 6 July 2018) where he mentioned Azerbaijan among 19 countries actively cooperating with the Special Procedures.