The Human Rights Council’s Special Procedures mandate holders (special rapporteurs, independent experts and working group members) are independent human rights experts holding thematic or country-specific mandates who were tasked to monitor human rights situation pertaining to their mandates around the world and to work out reports for their subsequent submission to the Human Rights Council.
The Republic of Azerbaijan enjoys fruitful cooperation with the special procedures mandate holders. Government of Azerbaijan has always responded positively to all visit enquiries of the mandate holders. It should also particularly be emphasized that in April 2013 the Government of Azerbaijan issued standing invitation to all mandate holders wishing to visit Azerbaijan.
The following UN mandate holders have visited Azerbaijan:
- Representative of the Secretary-General on the Human Rights of Internally Displaced Persons Francis M. Deng from (21 May-1 June 1998); Report;
- Special Rapporteur on Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment Nigel Rodley (7-15 May 2000); Report;
- Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion or Belief Asma Jahangir (26 February-5 March 2006); Report;
- Representative of the Secretary-General on the Human Rights of Internally Displaced Persons Walter Kälin (2-6 April 2007); Report;
- Representative of the Secretary-General on the Human Rights of Internally Displaced Persons Walter Kälin (Follow-up to the visit to Azerbaijan in 2007), (19-24 May 2010); Report;
- Special Rapporteur on the Right to Freedom of Opinion and Expression Ambeyi Ligabo (22-28 April 2007); Report;
- Special Rapporteur on the Right of Everyone to the Enjoyment of the Highest Attainable Standard of Physical and Mental Health Anand Grover (16-23 May 2012); Report; Comments by Azerbaijan;
- Special Rapporteur on Violence against Women, its Causes and Consequences Rashida Manjoo (25 November-6 December 2013); Report;
- Special Rapporteur on the Human Rights of Internally Displaced Persons Chaloka Beyani (18-24 May 2014); Report;
- Members of the Working Group on the Issue of Human Rights and Transnational Corporations and other Business Enterprises (18-27 August 2014); Report;
- Members of the Working Group on Arbitrary Detention (16-25 May 2016); Report; Comments by Azerbaijan;
- Special Rapporteur on the situation of Human Rights Defenders Michel Forst (14-22 September 2016); Report; Comments by Azerbaijan.
The openness and constructive cooperation of Azerbaijan with the Special Procedures mandate holders was positively acknowledged by UN High Commissioner for human rights in his oral update during the 38th session of the Human Rights Council (18 June-6 July 2018) where he mentioned Azerbaijan among 19 countries actively cooperating with the Special Procedures.