The International Civil Defence Organization (ICDO) is an intergovernmental organization with the objective to contribute to the development by States of structures ensuring the protection and assistance of population and safeguarding property and the environment from natural or man-made disasters. These structures are generally known as civil protection, civil defence, civil safety and are all concerned with the management of emergency situations. The ICDO federates the national structures established by States for this purpose with the aim of favoring cooperation and mutual solidarity between them.
ICDO is making a tangible contribution to the maintenance of peace and to the mobilization of efforts by the international community to protect populations and territories affected by large-scale man-made and natural disasters. Today the ICDO is developing rapidly and becoming one of the leading international organizations contributing to the creation of effective national civil protection services. The ICDO has also become a platform for the establishment of global mechanisms of disaster prevention on the foundation of national civil defence structures.
Azerbaijan is a member of International Civil Defence Organization since 1993. The Ministry of Emergency Situations of the Republic of Azerbaijan is closely cooperation with it. Azerbaijan was unanimously elected as a member of the Executive Committee of this organization for the years of 2015 – 2018. The Executive Council executes and implements decisions voted by the General Assembly and conducts the activities of the Organization relevantly. The Executive Council meets annually and Executive Council is composed of 23 ICDO Member States.
The Permanent Mission of Azerbaijan in Geneva coordinates activities with ICDO in building active cooperation to expand the group of partners of the Republic of Azerbaijan in the field of civil defence. Permanent Representative Amb. Vaqif Sadiqov met with Secretary General Vladimir Kuvshinov several times, and discussed the possible scenarios for contributing to Azerbaijan – ICDO relations in the areas of civil protection system of Azerbaijan.
The Ministry of Emergency Situations of the Republic of Azerbaijan has modern equipment which provides high level of preparedness of civil defence officers. The Ministry responded to disasters and provided relevant assistance to neighboring and friendly countries, and took an active part in rescue, rebuilding operations in a number of countries. Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov met several times with Vladimir Kuvshinov and discussed prospects of cooperation on further control mechanisms over emergency situations.
- Gabala Declaration adopted by the 13th International Conference on Civil Defence and Civil Protection on “Civil Defence and Preparation of Civil Societies for Disaster Risk Prevention” in Gabala city of Azerbaijan on 12 – 13 March 2013;
- ICDO delegation led by the Secretary General Vladimir Kuvshinov took part in a field training exercise "Khazar 2015" that took place in Baku, Azerbaijan. The exercise has been conducted on 24 November 2015 to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the creation of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
- The jubilee 50th session of the International Civil Defence Organization’s Executive Council was held from 8 to 9 May 2017 at the CICG conference center in Geneva. The Republic of Azerbaijan was also represented at the session;
- 2nd International Seminar for Representatives of Educational Institutions in ICDO Member States took place from 2 – 3 October 2017 in Baku, Azerbaijan.
- 3 June 2018 - Secretary-General of the International Civil Defence Organisation Vladimir Kuvshinov paid and official visit to capital city Baku, Azerbaijan. President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev, and the Minister of Emergency Situations Kamaladdin Heydarov received Vladimir Kuvshinov during his visit. Mr. Vladimir Kuvshinov has also attended the event on the occasion of the 10th anniversary of the establishment of the Academy of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of the Republic of Azerbaijan.