A meeting with the United Nations Working Group on Arbitrary Detention visiting our county was held at the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection of Population of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
Note that the purpose of the visit of the Working Group is to study the situation of disabled mentally ill and children with limited health in social service institutions where they live under the auspices of the state, along with other relevant institutions.
At the meeting the deputy minister of labour and social protection of population Ilgar Rahimov gave information about social protection system in our country, the work being done towards its improvement. The deputy minister stressed that the social security system is constantly increasing in Azerbaijan, ensuring the rights of citizens to benefit from social security, as well as social services. Purposeful works towards provision of people from relevant categories with qualitative social services in stationary and mobile form, reforms on the basis of the advanced world experience in order to improve activity in this area are carried out.
I.Rahimov stated that nearly 500 persons are currently provided with social services in 3 psychoneurological social service institutions for disabled mentally ill located in Baku city, Shamakhi and Goygol districts, being subordinated to the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection of Population. Also 320 children in 2 social service institutions of the ministry for children with limited health located in Baku city and Absheron district live in comprehensive state provision. They are covered with constant attention and care, good attitude. At the meeting the detailed information about the current conditions of social service institutions was also given to the Working Group.
It was noted that rehabilitation of the residents of social service institutions by returning to their family environment is carried out. As a result of the measures towards deinstitutionalization, last year and in the past period of the current year 117 people, including 82 children returned to their families from these institutions. It was spoken about the projects executed for the provision of social services by the specialized civil societies based on the orders of the Ministry, daytime care services.
The head of the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention Setondji Roland Adjovi expressed satisfaction with the information provided. He noted that the coverage of disabled mentally ill, children with limited health with state support, the work carried out for their living in an environment of constant care and rehabilitation is estimable. S.R.Adjovi expressed gratitude for the conditions to be established to study the situation in social service institutions. He stated that will submit the final report of the Working Group on Azerbaijan to the UN Human Rights Council.
At the meeting, the questions of the members of the working group were responded, exchanged views on the subject.
- ABOUT AZERBAIJAN
- COOPERATION WITH INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
- Cooperation with the United Nations
- Human Rights
- Economy, Trade and Development
- Humanitarian and Social issues
- International Bureau of Education (IBE)
- International Civil Defence Organisation (ICDO)
- International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
- International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)
- International Labour Organization (ILO)
- International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
- United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
- Arms control and Disarmament
- Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU)