The delegation of the Republic of Azerbaijan headed by Mr. Ogtay Shiraliyev, the Minister of Health of the Republic of Azerbaijan attends the Sixty-seventh World Health Assembly, 19-24 May 2014, in Geneva.
During the first day of the Assembly Mr. Ogtay Shiraliyev delivered a speech on the outcomes of the 133rd and 134th sessions of the Executive Board as its vice-chair.
Within the framework of the session Mr. Ogtay Shiraliyev will have a number of bilateral meetings with high-level officials of World Health Organization (WHO), as well as with the ministers and deputy-ministers of health of different states.
During the World Health Assembly high-level representatives from 194 Member States will discuss and make decisions on the following key global health issues:
- the Millennium Development Goals and the role of health on the post-2015 development agenda;
- a new global strategy and targets to prevent and control tuberculosis;
- prevention and control noncommunicable diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, cancers and chronic lung disease;
- the health of patients with viral hepatitis;
- a draft action plan for newborn health;
- WHO’s global strategy for maternal and young child nutrition;
- antimicrobial drug resistance;
- access to essential medicines and strengthen the systems that regulate medicines;
- management of autism;
- protecting more people from vaccine-preventable diseases;
- climate and health;
- reforms of WHO.
The World Health Assembly is the forum which the World Health Organization is governed by its 194 Member States.
It is the world's highest health policy setting body and is composed of high level health representatives from Member States.